Recipe Swap — Hungry Souls Style
Hungry Souls centers its food assistance around family meals. On weekends during the school year, we provide menus, recipes and ingredients for six meals to families with school children struggling with food insecurity.
We would love to expand our menu options. You can help! Please comment or message us your favorite recipe that would be great for the families we serve. A link to an online recipe is just fine. Some things to keep in mind:
- Recipes with common ingredients are preferred. Try to limit seasonings and condiments to things that are inexpensive and commonly found in a pantry. We do not provide fresh herbs, for example.
- Families are provided with fresh meat and canned meat as needed for the recipe. Consider more inexpensive cuts so that we can stretch your giving dollars as far as possible. We also provide fresh fruit and vegetables as needed.
- Our families all own or are provided with a slow cooker.
- The fewer and simpler the steps, the better the recipe is for our purposes. Meals that can be prepped or prepared by a teenager or aren’t too time-consuming after a parent comes home after a long day of work are ideal. We love recipes with no more than five ingredients.
- Keep in mind nutritional value and appeal to all ages.
- Examples of categories that are highly successful – slow cooker meals, hearty soups and stews, skillet meals, sheet pan meals.
We would like to thank you for doing us this favor. Everyone who submits by the end of the day on November 2nd will be entered into a drawing for a $20 HEB gift card so that you can prepare a yummy meal on us for your own family or friends. We will contact the winner via Facebook Messenger and announce them on our Facebook Page on November 3rd.
And, since it’s always fun to trade recipes with a friend, here is a Hungry Souls favorite for you to try!
1 whole 4-5 lb
chicken, insides removed
4 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
2 lemons, sliced
2 sprigs rosemary (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups baby carrots
5 red potatoes, washed and cubed
1. Place four lemon slices and two garlic cloves on bottom of slow cooker. Place chicken on top. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place lemons, carrots, garlic, potatoes and rosemary and all over chicken and around the inside of the slow cooker.
2. Cook on low 8 hours (or high for 4 hours). Remove from slow cooker and serve.